Saturday 12 September 2015

IS IT OK TO BE SEEN?

How many times and in how many ways have we been told to shrink ourselves? Many of us have been yelled at and beaten emotionally and physically into submission.


From the vantage point of a therapist I encounter people daily who have been told to be humble, modest, not think too much of themselves. What's the consequence of all this shrinking that we've been taught to do so well? So many of us have forgotten that we are meant to be lights in the world. 


We no longer laugh raucously.
 We don't dance with wild abandon.
 We paint, only within the lines.

Well I for one am working hard to remember me; the girl who loved to laugh a little too loud sometimes, the girl who danced  unselfconsciously, the girl who spoke her mind fearlessly, the girl who was a magnet for other equally joyous souls.

I know she is still in there. I see glimpses of her more and more each day. And the gift of painting has been that it has offered a way in, a way back to find what I lost when I put away childish things and became a responsible shrink-wrapped adult. 


I hope some of you will come with me. Let's tear through the wrapping and find our magnificent selves together! 



It is indeed our RIGHT to be truly seen!

11 comments:

  1. Yes we learned how to disappear so well into someone else's ideal of how we should be as adults. I spent my summer practicing to not just go with the first thought or reaction, which was often to not do the thing I wanted most to do in lieu of making someone else "happy" even the children. A few times I allowed myself to change my mind and want a new thing which was really an old thing. To be me. To have some fun and try a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its hard to be true to ourselves sometimes. I know that as women and mothers we are socialized to put everyone first. That only works till we break and cant be there for everyone else. So for now I practice what I call the flight attendats motto for life; 'put the mask on self first, the see about everyone else." Seems selfish some would say. I counter that it is our responsibility to take careof our selves first so we can be in good shape later should anyone need us. Keep having fun and trying new things nd making time for you!

      Delete
  2. Love it....joining u on ur journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these sentiments Nicole. An invitation to live our authentic lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria, Authenticity is easier said than done sometimes but sooo necessary!

      Delete
  4. I love contemplating this topic and your vibrant paintings catch my eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking the time to read my musings. Thank you

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post Nicole!! :) I agree - we are all meant to be lights in this world. Thank you for sharing your light. So inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete